Thursday, August 30, 2012

Baby Mine

There is something magical about being a momma.  Tonight I got the chance to experience one of my favorite momma moments.  I was downstairs searching for paint colors for the new house, and trust me, that is NO easy task, while searching, I could hear the fussing and whining of my sweet girl upstairs.  I know she's tired and ready for bed, but that didn't stop me from checking on her just because...

So, I whisked up the stairs and opened her door.  Elizabeth popped her little head up and indicated with her 'uh uh uh' talk that she wanted to be picked up.  I obliged.  I scooped my baby girl up and soaked up that sweet baby bath smell.  I cleaned out the glider and we rocked for a few minutes.  She is so curious and was trying so hard to avoid the bedtime sleepies.  She would sit quietly and every minute perk her head up and question something she could see in the shadows in her room.  'Ooooh oooh' she would exclaim as she lifted her tired little head and I would quietly whisper, 'Night Night' in response to her question.  As soon as I would respond her little head would find a place on my chest and she would burrow a little bit further into her blanket.  After a while she kept her sweet little head resting on my chest and there were no more questions.  She started to breathe heavier and I knew she was drifting into dream land.  She rubs her little hands together when she's falling asleep.  And the hand rubbing had begun.  She gathers her blanket up close to her face when she's getting sleepy and the blanket was covering her face.  Slowly I can feel her body get heavy with sleep.  Oh bliss.  I couldn't help but sing the lyrics to Baby Mine as I rocked her tonight.  I could feel my eyes start to well up with tears as I thought about how blessed I truly am to have these babies, and how they were given to me, and they are mine.  

Baby Mine, don't you cry
Baby Mine, dry your eyes
Rest your head close to my heart
Never to part, baby of mine
Little one when you play
Don't you mind what they say
Let those eyes sparkle and shine
Never a tear, baby of mine
If they knew sweet little you
They'd end up loving you too
All those same people who scold you
What they'd give just for
The right to hold you
From your head to your toes
You're not much, goodness knows
But you're so precious to me
Cute as can be, baby mine

 

1 comment: