Monday, April 21, 2014

The day I had a toddler at birth.

Busily trying to distract myself in pre-op.  Notice I'm STILL WEARING MY WEDDING RINGS.  File that under things that never happen the morning of delivery.... I was BEYOND ready for that child to come out of my belly.  I was also shocked to discover that I was contracting pretty good that morning.  Once I was hooked up to the millions of monitors I learned that.  Too bad the contractions just hurt my belly and produce ZERO dilation for delivery.  And all the time I thought Spencer kept moving around, but I was wrong.  Contractions.  I had the best pre-op experience possible.  We got there SUPER early (much to early for my liking) and I was more than ready to go.  I was also more than ready to eat.  That's the worst part of a surgery, not eating after midnight.  I didn't cheat this time.  No food or drink after midnight for real this time.  I've cheated with the other two.  I'm a rebel like that.  

Arrival at Northside:  6:30 a.m..  Actually, we were kinda early.  Huge thanks to Emily and Doug for letting us stay in their guest suite the night before.  It was so easy to drive the 2 miles over at 6 a.m.  We were parked, checked in, and ready to go around 6:45 a.m.  We stayed in pre-op for a bit since it was a busy day.  Funny, 4-14-14 was a really popular induction and c-section day.  It was my 2nd choice, but it worked.  My surgery was scheduled for 8:30 a.m. but we had a bit of a delay since they were so busy!  I got wheeled back and they started surgery.  I had a fabulous anesthesiologist and my doctor is always fabulous.  I love her dearly and I do mean that.  She is a wonderful person who is so *warm* when dealing with my healthcare and babies.  

She narrated the whole process and we were done with delivery around 9:03 a.m.  I heard that time and was betting that was Spencer's weight, but I was wrong!  Spencer came out kicking and screaming, a sign of things to come?  She also promptly peed on the warming bed... so that was fun.  She got checked out and sent to recovery after that.  I got put back together and sent to recovery myself.   My big kids both had breathing distress upon delivery, so I didn't get to hang with them during recovery.  They both spent about 4-5 hours each in the transition nursery.  Spencer was perfect and I got to watch her get a bath while we were both in recovery.  I also got ice chips!  Praise Jesus!  

They weighed her in recovery.  9 lbs. and 9 oz.  Child was a small toddler at birth.  I could NOT believe how big she was!  No wonder she hurt so bad!  She is perfect!  

First photo of her after birth.
Yes, I have on makeup.
I'm not a fool.
I know there will be pictures that day and I planned to look good.

Welcome to the world Spencer Brynne Cochran.
You complete my Cochran family and I love you more each day.
I hope we are as good to you as you are good to us.
9:03 a.m.
9 lbs. 9 oz.
20 inches long

No comments:

Post a Comment